Monday 13 April 2015

Far From You by Tess Sharpe Review

Far From You by Tess Sharpe 

 

“Some barriers, they’re mean to be broken.”  
Far From You is the story of Sophie and the events leading up to and after the murder of her best friend. After she’s been forced into a rehab centre to recover from her drug addiction – something she already has done. However the drugs in her pocket at the murder scene don’t help her situation.

What I liked;

The Flashbacks – Normally flashbacks really get on my nerves but they were helpful in this story as they showed the history/relationship between different characters and the events leading to Mina’s murder

Sophie – The main character was very determined and it was something that I liked about her because she wasn’t afraid to go for what she wanted/needed. She was also very strong in terms of getting better following her crash, getting over her addiction and surviving when no one believed her.

The Mystery – I can tell you that the person behind the murder isn’t someone you expect and all the clues and leads hint at possible suspects.

The Build Up – Relating to the point above all the evidence that Mina left behind and all of her investigating create a great tension/suspense.


What I didn’t like;

The Characters – I couldn’t connect with the characters at all because there was so much focus on Mina. I liked Sophie at first but then everything just revolved around Mina and it just went downhill from there.

Mina – The cliché of Mina being manipulative is used in this book – why is it that mystery book resolving in a friend’s death always make the dead girl a manipulator

The Friendship – Friendship? More like obsession, mixed signals and pain  
Reasoning – The reason for the murder of Mina and a similar case were just really squished in at the end of the book


So I disliked what the book revolved around – just what you want in a book.

“I’m holding onto her, because this is what we’re good at: hurting each other”


★★☆☆☆

2 comments:

  1. Disappointed that you didn't enjoy the book, I have seen this one around and I have kept my eye on it for a while but I might give it a pass, great review!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete